SOUTH HYCKHAM, or Hykeham, a small village on an eminence between the Witham and one of its tributary streams, 5 miles S. by W. of Lincoln, has in its parish 77 souls and 1131A. 7p. of land, exclusive of part of Haddington township. About 50 acres belong to various owners, and the rest is the property of the Hon. and Rev. H. C. Cust, the lord of the manor. The church (St Michael) is a small structure, rebuilt many years ago, on the site of a larger fabric. It has a tower surmounted by a spire, and a rectory valued in K.B. at £19. 16s. 2d, and now at £343, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Geo Oliver, D.D., of Scopwick; for whom the Rev. Wm. Bromhead, B.A., of Bracebridge, officiates. At the enclosure, in 1800, the tithes of South Hyckham were commuted for a corn rent, now £236 per annum; besides which, the rector has 84 acres of land, in lieu of his share of the tithes at Haddington. In 1774, the Rev. --- Russell left a yearly rent charge of £1 6s. 8d for the poor of South Hyckham and Haddington, and the former also have the interest of £5, left by the Rev . --- Perney.
History, Gazateer, and Directory of Lincolnshire by William White, 1856
HYCKHAM (SOUTH), or Hykeham, a small village on an eminence, between the Witham and one of
its tributary streams, 5 miles S. by W. of Lincoln, and about 2 miles from North Hyckham railway station, has in its parish 118 souls, and 1804 acres of land, including 644 of Haddington township, which is partly in this and partly in Aubourn parish. About 50 acres belong to various owners, and the rest is the property of the Hon. Chas. Henry Gust, the lord of the manor. The Church (St. Michael and All Saints), is a small structure, rebuilt many years ago on the site of a larger fabric, and consists of nave with apsidal chancel, and a tower surmounted by a spire. The south porch and a new pulpit were erected in. 1868, when the gallery was removed, and the building newly roofed and thoroughly restored, at an outlay of about £750, of which the lord of the manor contributed £400, the present rector £160, and the remainder was raised chiefly by the parishioners. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £19. 16s. 2d., and now at £300, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. James Jones Reynolds, who has a commodious residence, built in 1869, at a cost of £1600, of which the sum of £800 was borrowed from the Governors of Queen Anne’s Bounty, and the remainder contributed in equal amounts by the rector and the Lord Chancellor. The corn-rents, in lieu of the great tithes of South Hyckham, were fixed in 1868, for 21 years, at £l64. OS. 6d. per annum ; besides which the rector has 83 acres of land, in lieu of his share of the tithes of Haddington. In 1774, the Rev. Thomas Russell left a yearly rent-charge of £2 for the poor of that part of the lordship of North Hykeham and township of Haddington within the parish of South Hykeham, and the former have also the interest of £5, left by the Rev. Mr. Perney. In 1870 a neat School was erected, at an expense of £400, and is attended by over 20 children.
Wall Letter Box, cleared at 4.15 p.m. Letters via Lincoln, which is the nearest Money Order Office.
History, Gazateer, and Directory of Lincolnshire by William White, 1872